Tuesday 12 May 2009

The Great Drive -- Or, The Long Way Home (Pt 2)

We drove from Savannah, GA straight on up to Asheville, NC. I'd never been to Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina before, so we took a smaller road through part of South Carolina. It was a two-lane road that went through the centre of some very small towns. Kind of fun. And so green! And it smelled green . . . an observation that has earned me no little grief with him. *sigh* He doesn't realise that green can too be an odder!

The reason we were heading to Asheville was that my youngest cousin on my mom's side lives there. And, since this is my mom's mom that I'm traveling with, it only made sense to stop off and say hi to Daniel, and his girlfriend, Michelle. We arrived on the 8th, but we didn't bug them til the 9th. On the 9th we took Daniel out for breakfast. The most amazing waffles you've ever seen. And the Huevos Rancheros?!? Oh. My. Goodness. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was amazing. We dropped Daniel off for work, then we went on out to the Blue Ridge Parkway (which is also a National Park). We stopped off at the Centre for Folk Art. They were having a big special weekend highlighting various 'fiber crafts'. So there were people there spinning yarn, making bobbin lace (*wow*), crocheting, weaving beads . . . you name it, if it had to do with fibers, there was someone doing it! Amazing. And the live band was so much fun. Except, of course, I didn't have anyone to dance with! Such a waste of fabulous live Blues/Bluegrass music.

That evening we took Daniel and Michelle out for this amazing South American food. It was called 'Tomato: Cocina Latina". The food was so fresh and wonderful. I had carne asada, Daniel had paella (which is technically a Spanish dish, not South American) and Grandma and Michelle had chili relleno. Every one of us enjoyed the food. It was great. Then Daniel took us past the house he's put an offer in on. So, it looks like they're in NC to stay! Grandma, of course, was jibing them about 'when are you going to get married?!?' Apparently they've decided they will it's just a matter of Daniel getting around to asking her. Come on, boy, once you've made the decision, get with it! She's too good of a catch to mess about and let get away!

The night of the 9th, I didn't sleep well at all. I'd been fighting this horrible virus that attacks your lymph nodes, and it was making me pretty miserable. And I woke up on the 10th with more swollen nodes, so we decided to alter our original plan. I'd made an appointment in Toronto at the Curly Hair Institute to get a haircut and learn their techniques for using their product. I've been wanting to do this for years, but it just never works out. But I was kind of worried about this virus. So we decided to drive straight north and get back to Michigan that night, and I could hit the doctor's office on Monday.

No comments: