Saturday 31 July 2010

Fabulous Finds

I've always loved antique furniture.  There's something satisfying about using items that have been used by generations before.  The items have more . . . soul, I guess.  Don't get me wrong, some things are better new: mattresses, for example.  I really don't want a 200+ year old mattress, thank you!  But, my desk?  My kitchen table?  Yeah, I'd rather have something old.  Besides, it's likely to be better built!

Anyway, since we were in the Cotswolds, I figured it was a good time to check out some fun antiques.  So fun.  There are loads of antique shops in the Cotswolds.  Sadly, most of it is just way out of my price range.  But I did find a couple of fun things.

The first of these finds is a brass door knocker.  Don't know how old it really is.  I wouldn't say it was actually an antique.  But it's very cute.
The scene is Corfe Castle, in Devon, and the village.  I completely love it!  I'm not sure if I'll put it up on the front door or not.  At the moment it's on my living room door.

The other fun find is this awesome antique money box.
It's got these 4 slots on the lid for coins.  Then, when you pull open the drawers below, you find that the drawers are subdivided into 2, so there are actually 4 compartments.  Cute huh?  The bottom drawer is just what it appears.  A single drawer.
The box is elm, from the early years of the 19th Century (1800s).  Isn't it fantastic?

So excited by my new finds!  Completely love them both!

6 comments:

okanogangirl said...

Love it! Are you hauling it back???

Adele said...

Yes ma'am!

Helena said...

I love the coin box!

Miss Megan said...

I agree...antique shopping is one of my favorite things to do. And yes, it seems like things were built to last. Nowadays everything is cheap plywood from Walmart. I love good sturdy furniture.

Looks like you got some great finds!

Adele said...

Totally agree, Megan! :D

Michelle said...

Great finds! Thank you for commenting on my blog! :)