The old aphorism that No News is Good News is tragically not true in this case. There's been no news on the whereabouts of my birdy. I'm absolutely gutted. I've posted fliers over the whole neighbourhood and put them up at the Co-Op and Pub and in the community notice boards. If anyone does see him, I should hear about it fairly soon afterwards. However, at this point I really doubt that I'll ever see him again. And I'm so sad.
It's not been an entirely tragic week, however. Friday I had my appointment at the Home Office to request a renewal on my Student Visa. Interestingly, rather than giving me a new Student Visa, I was issued with a Temporary Residents Visa! Really the only difference is that I don't have to play 20 questions with the Immigrations Officer at the airport when I come back into the country. However . . . that's an evilly expensive upgrade! 500 GBP. Never mind. It's good till the end of February 2011.
And finally, the fun news. I've been called as the 1st Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency. This means I get to play with the 12-18 year old girls in the ward. Specifically, the ones between 14 and 15 year olds. Err . . . old, currently. There's just one. But at the end of March I get one more :) I'm really chuffed about the whole thing. It's going to be a lot of work, and I can SO feel the weight of the responsibility, but I'm very excited about it, too. Funny thing is, I've been waiting for this calling for two weeks. Ever since the previous 1st Counselor was released. The moment she was released I just knew she was going to be called next. Had to wait for the Bishop to come back into town, though. Such a same I'm away this week. It always seems to happen to me that way. I get called the week before I have to be away for a week. Poor Lucy is stuck without a leader (eeek! I just said 'leader' with regards to me!!) for one more week.
And the reason I'm away? I have to go to the University of York for the whole week. I got an email on a week ago Thursday evening. It was from Rebecca (my supervisor) to inform me about a workshop I was highly encouraged to attend. One catch: the enrollment deadline was the following Monday. So I emailed them Friday morning to ask if there was still room, and if so I'd like to be included. Since I didn't hear back from them by the end of Monday, I assumed they didn't have room. It wasn't until around 11.00 PM Wednesday that I finally heard back from them, saying yes, they did have room, and if I wanted to attend, could I please wire the 450 GBP registration fee the next day? Eeeek! Ok, maybe two small problems! So this week was tragic and very very expensive.