Friday 8 August 2008

Get Your Kicks . . . In A Wind Tunnel!

The Monday before Grandma arrived, I took Mom off to Milton Keynes. I had been taunting her for weeks about what we were going to be doing. It had been ultra secret. :) Finally, the Saturday before we went, she started guessing absolutely every far out and insane thing she could come up with, and eventually did come up with our activity. I took her to AirKixs in Milton Keynes to go Indoor SkyDiving! It totally ROCKED!



I bought us 2 sessions of 2 minutes each of air time. We had an initial training session, where they taught us the 'C' Position, which is the optimal body position for freefall. You arch your back, keep your legs somewhat bent and V-ed out, and your arms in front of you, elbows bent. Now, that position sounds easy. But with air rushing at you so fast it literally overcomes gravity . . . it's tough to keep. Most of those 2 minutes (at our very untrained level) you spend working out how exactly you need to hold your body. Every once in a while, though, it clicks, and you suddenly have all sorts of control of your space. It's amazing! I got to go up above head level, then hover right above the floor, and I learned to spin 365' left and then right. Mom got good at going up and down, but I'm not sure if she turned or not. It was amazing when it worked right. When it didn't, it was just palin hard work. 2 minutes doesn't sound like much, but let me tell you, by the end of it you were glad to get out of the stream. But I'd totally do it again. In a heart beat!

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a blast! (literally)