Wednesday 25 February 2009

Culture Shock

Well... maybe 'shock' isn't quite such a good word. But culture difference, definitely. As I was walking around campus today, I was noticing all the couples. Now, it's not that there are no couples on campuses in England. That's just silly! Of course there are. But the display is different. The couples at Essex and Sheffield (and I would guess the same is true at most other Universities around the world) are together for fun. These couples are dating for keeps. Hmm.... how to explain. I'm not sure what the 'seen but not noticed' (Harold Garfinkle) attributes are, but the couples around BYU's campus are visibly courting. They are actively seeking a permanent relationship with the purpouse of marriage and starting a family. This is obviously a result of the ideological theology (which I agree with, mind!) taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Other couples are not displaying the same things. It's just interesting. I can tell by looking at these couples that they've got a different purpouse. I wonder what the 'seen but not noticed' things are!

1 comment:

Coila said...

That's funny, I really tried to avoid that in my dating at BYU. I felt like a lot of guys I dated were more concerned about getting married to someone who fit enough of the big qualities on their lists than they were concerned with finding someone who they enjoyed being around and who they loved. But I'm glad you're liking it. Maybe you're noticing an aspect of it I didn't.