Monday 2 March 2009

Shooting In PG

Well.... Friday was exciting. I came home to my aunt's house in PG on Friday, and the door was locked. Interesting. I could tell people were home, which means the door's usually unlocked. So I dug my key out and came in, and joked 'Trying to keep me out, eh?' as I walked into the living room. My aunt said, 'We've been in lock down all afternoon.' Ummm..... ok. Why? Apparently there'd been a shooting about 5 blocks away, and the police had been chasing the guy all over PG. So the schools were all holding the students till the guy got caught, and the road was blocked off (fortunately I'd come the back way, not the front way, so I missed the traffic problems) and it was a mess, generally. And, of course, being so close, my aunt and uncle knew the victim. Actually, so did my Dad. He's originally from PG, though they moved when he was 10 to Alaska. The victim was the (much) younger brother of my Dad's friend from elementary school. Kind of scary. Actually, really scary. And in PG? It's like the definition of 'Small Town, USA'. And it's kind of freaky watching your house go by on the 6.00 news. Seriously, it was that close.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow. Scary. Sort of puts a dent in your sense of security.

On a more light-hearted note, when I read your title, before I clicked the link to the post, I thought it had something to do with making a movie rated PG...

Coila said...

Holy smokes! That is scary.

Also, my word verification is strange/hilarious:
boyinsiv

mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mel said...

WOW, that is scary!

So glad your immediate family are all OK, but how sad to have lost your Dads old friend though.

I was holding my breath the whole time I was reading that!

-xx-