Monday 24 March 2008

Easter Snow?

Woke up Easter Sunday morning and started down the stairs. In my house, the stairs face the back garden, and there is a window looking out. Imagine my shock when I looked out the window and what did I see? I'll give you a hint -- it was white, but not 'Popcorn popping on the Apricot Tree'. More like someone got overly excited with the popcorn maker and sprayed it everywhere! We had SNOW!!! I've seen a grand total of maybe 3 inches of snow in the 4 years I've lived in England. None of it later than mid February. And by the time I got to Church (10.00 AM) it was more than an inch deep. My grandmother is visiting. She had Shingles last summer, and has some residual pain from that, which causes her not to be able to sit on a hard bench for 3 hours of Church without really suffering, so in the middle I darted off to collect her for Sacrament Meeting (which we have last). I had to be very careful driving out, because the snow had reached 4 inches by that time, and Colchester simply was not prepared for it. It continued to snow all through Sacrament, reaching the staggering depth of 6 inches! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who's side you're on) it quit snowing and started to melt by the end of Sacrament meeting, so I didn't get a photo of it at its deepest. Never mind.

After Church I came home and got dinner started. The West family came to my house for Easter dinner. We had roast beef, roast potatoes, mashed sweet potato, green salad, carrots and parsnips for dinner, and Vanessa made a raspberry trifle and a chocolate birthday cake (for me!) for dessert. The kids played with the playmobil sets Mom gave me for Christmas, and had a great time slaying dragons and jousting knights. All in all there were 11 people (me included) in my house for dinner: Claire (housemate), Russ (her boyfriend), David, Vanessa, Elliot, Camilla, Jonny, Hannah and Jordan (West), Grandma and me! Loads of fun. Thanks for coming, everyone!

1 comment:

Gardner Family said...

Oh wow! Snow? It was 91' here in San Diego!!! What I wouldn't give for a little cool weather right now! Happy Easter!